A few months into starting solids I started looking for some snack options that I could share with my little one.
The vast majority of time I carried around nature’s perfect snack- fruit! First freeze dried fruit, then whole fruit, then dried fruit. Sometimes I changed it up with vegetables, cucumbers and then carrots. To be perfectly honest, I still consider this the perfect snack- easy and inexpensive.
However, from time to time I wanted to change it up and be able to carry something in my bag that I wasn’t worried about bruising when my bag got shoved under the stroller, tossed in the entryway and otherwise manhandled.
With MSPI store bought treats are significantly limited, so I hit up Pinterest and came away with the fabulously easy banana-oatmeal cookie recipe. In time, I adjusted the proportions to make these a slightly larger, more filling, and in my opinion tasty treat.
MSPI Friendly Granola Bars
Serves: 12 bars
MSPI Friendly Granola Bars (dairy free, soy free, gluten free)
- 2 bananas
- 2 cups oats (rolled or quick)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup pecans (crushed)
- 1 Tbsp peanut butter
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips (dairy free, soy free)
- Pinch of salt
- anything else you can think of…cinnamon, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, macadamia nuts (crushed), chopped dried fruit, etc.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Mash bananas.
- Combine with oats.
- Add as many or as little optional ingredients as you would like.
- Form into bars on parchment lined cookie sheet.
- Bake 12 minutes. If you forgot to preheat you can still stick them in a cold oven just add a few minutes.