Are you planning a two week trip to the Yucatan Peninsula in Mexico? This 2 weeks in Yucatan itinerary is the perfect amount of beaches, ruins and cultural exploration, already planned out for you. Our relaxed itinerary means that even if you will be spending only one week in Yucatan, you can choose a part of this Mexico itinerary.
This trip itinerary covers round trip flights coming to and from Cancun in Quintana Roo. From there you will rent a car and explore the Yucatan Peninsula. If you prefer a one way itinerary, that is more appropriate for backpacking and public transportation, check out this Merida to Cancun itinerary. And if you’re looking to avoid Cancun altogether, then this Yucatan itinerary has you relaxing at the Yucatan beaches!
Yucatan Peninsula Trip (with 3 kids)
Ok guys, after an extended break to touch on some other topics, I’m back with our itinerary and recaps of our trip to the Yucatan Peninsula. This trip we took last winter with a 6 year old, 5 year old and 1 year old.
If you missed my previous post on planning our 2018 trip to the Yucatan peninsula, here ya go! If you’re planning your own trip, read on for our very manageable two week Yucatan itinerary.
This itinerary is based on a roundtrip flight into and out of Cancun, Mexico. For a one way itinerary starting in Merida and ending in Cancun, check out this post. I’ve included some of our optional stops, that you may choose to add on to your trip if your kids are older, or you like to travel at a faster pace! So let’s get to it!
A 2 Week Yucatan Itinerary
- Flight to Cancun (CUN), arrive at Westin Cancun
- Cancun– beach, rent a car and buy food, etc
- Cancun– beach (possible day trip to Isla Mujeres- we didn’t go)
- Cancun– Beach (other day trip options: Puerto Morelos- Botanic garden or the Croc Can Zoo- we didn’t go)
- Cancun (buy groceries, soccer ball, books for the road trip)
- Drive to Coba 2 hours: Stop in Punta Laguna, sleep in Coba
- Coba ruins first, then drive to Merida 2.5 hours (optional- Cenote on the way- Xlakaj or Yokdzonot- we skipped and only stopped for a lunch break in Piste), sleep Merida. Note: if you have not been to Chichen Itza, you could work it in here (or on day 13).
- Merida: Activity options- Acuaparque or Botanical Garden or Walk around Centro, (laundry?) or Hacienda Sotuta de Peon (tours at 10 or 13) lunch, drive to Uxmal 1 hour (optional- Chocolate Museum- we skipped), sleep Uxmal
- Visit Uxmal, sleep Uxmal
- Visit Kabah and Cenote and drive back to Merida. (We decided on this last minute.) Other Options:
- Grutas Loltun (1 hour drive)
- Hacienda Sotuta de Peon (on way back to Merida)
- Hacienda Yaxcopoil to play and take pictures
- Merida morning, drive to Hacienda San Jose (40 mins), sleep hacienda
- Hacienda late check out, drive to Izamal
- Izamal, drive to Cancun 3 hours, (Optional: stop in Cenote Xlakaj or Xocen- we ended up having lunch at a highway rest stop), sleep Cancun
- Cancun secret spot– beach
- Flight back (Our flight was delayed! Stayed an extra night in Cancun and took the first flight out the following day).
And there you have it. Our complete two week itinerary for vacationing with kids in Mexico! As you can see, we decided to take it easy and do few of the optional activities I had noted. I hope you find this helpful in planning a trip to Mexico with kids!
Of course the dry itinerary leaves out so many details on our adventure, where we stayed, what we did, places we recommend. Coming up in quick succession, recaps of the trip, a review of our hotel in Cancun, and pictures galore!
Have you traveled to Mexico with kids? Where did you visit? Or where do you like to go during winter break?
This past break, we just stayed home!
P.S. Planning your own family vacation? Check out my new complete packing list! Getting ready for a trip has never been easier!